Member Expertise and Enthusiasm Needed
This is your opportunity as a member of APS to nominate colleagues or indicate your own interest in service to APS for vice president or councilor-at-large on the APS Council.
Nominations Process for 2021 Election
For the positions of
Vice President and
Councilor-at-Large, we are seeking individuals who are respected in the field of plant pathology; possess leadership experiences in APS and a record of follow-through and results in various APS activities; have a vision for the society; and are good mentors of others. Please consider these attributes in making nominations. International members, industry members, or members in any other demographic segment of APS will be considered along with other nominations.
Candidate Qualification Targets
The APS Nominations Committee has identified a number of desired attributes that will be part of the selection process for new Council members. Applicants should possess:
- Demonstrated leadership commitment and involvement with APS. Examples include but are not limited to service on APS committees, boards, offices, or task forces.
- Recognized leader in the APS community.
- Commitment to participate in monthly meetings.
- Positive leadership attributes, emotional intelligence, ability to work collaboratively and engage in appropriate debate and discussion when needed, and visionary and strategic drive.
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”.
- Demonstrated ability of new and innovative programs within their sphere of influence. Examples include but are not limited to incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk taking, and an entrepreneur spirit.
Nominations accepted through December 1, 2020.
Application Process for 2021 Election
Nominees who meet the basic nomination criteria noted above will be approached by the Nominations Committee to submit an application. This is a variation on past practice when nominees were contacted to determine if they would be willing to stand for election and if they accepted, they were asked to submit a bio and vision statement for publication in
Phytopathology News. We’re just turning the process around a little bit, asking for the bio earlier in the process to save some time and build a talent pool for the future.
Applications period will open January 2021
Questions? Contact APS Nominations Committee members with questions.