Please consider the following attributes when submitting Vice President and Councilor-at-Large nominations for the May 2024 election. International members, industry members, or members in any other demographic segment of APS will be considered along with other nominations. All nominations will be reviewed by the APS Nominations Committee.
Candidate Qualification Targets
This is your opportunity as a member of APS to nominate colleagues or indicate your own interest in service to APS for vice president or councilor-at-large on the APS Council. The APS Nominations Committee has identified a number of desired attributes that will be part of the selection process for new Council members.
For the positions of
Vice President and
Councilor-at-Large, we are seeking APS members who are:
- Possess strong leadership experiences in APS and a record of follow-through and results in various APS activities.
- Vision and Leadership: the ability to see the big picture and the courage to set direction to achieve the APS vision and mission and strategic goals.
- Ability to inspire and empower.
- Cultivate partnerships and teamwork.
- Are strategic thinkers and have the ability to "rally the troops" and help advocate and grow APS as an organization.
- Demonstrated leadership commitment and involvement with APS. Examples include but are not limited to service on APS committees, boards, offices, or task forces.
- Recognized leader in the APS community.
- Commitment to participate in monthly meetings.
- Positive leadership attributes, emotional intelligence, ability to work collaboratively and engage in appropriate debate and discussion when needed, and visionary and strategic drive.
- Ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience.
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”.
- Demonstrated ability of new and innovative programs within their sphere of influence. Examples include but are not limited to incorporating strategy, leadership, future focus, risk taking, and an entrepreneur spirit.
- Respected in the field of plant pathology.
- Nominees must be current APS Regular Members in good standing. APS Student, Early Career, and Emeritus members are not eligible.
Nominations for the 2024 election are accepted through December 1, 2023.
Council Application Process