2022 Outstanding Volunteer Awardees
Dr. Rebecca Melanson is an Associate Extension Professor with Mississippi State University. Dr. Melanson has contributed to APS through outstanding and sustained volunteer work at multiple levels in the society since she first joined the society as a student member in 2008. Over the years, Dr. Melanson has participated actively in multiple committees and led various subject matter committees as chair. She also has served multiple terms as Secretary-Treasurer for the Southern Division of APS, and has been a key team member in planning, organizing, and restructuring Southern Division meetings. Dr. Melanson has volunteer time as a member of the Annual Meeting Board, Phytopathology News advisory board, and as Editor in Chief for sections of the Grow Plant Health Exchange. Dr. Matt Kasson is an Associate Professor of Forest Pathology and Mycology at West Virginia State University. Dr. Kasson has provided ongoing and exemplary service through leadership and advocacy within and on behalf of APS. He has served APS through multiple editorships, leadership positions at the divisional level, and on numerous committees and other roles at the national level. Of particular note, Dr. Kasson served as President of the APS Potomac Division, overseeing the sudden shift to a 100% online, and successful, meeting in 2020. He was an instrumental figure in organizing the Forest Health Initiative through the APS Public Policy Board. Dr. Kasson also is an active supporter of an inclusive APS through his work with the Committee for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, co-authoring the APS Statement on Black Lives Matter.
Call for 2023 Nominations
Nominate APS volunteers who go beyond the standard effort
Do you know of a committee chair that made things happen and the committee accomplished its goals? How about someone who started a group that didn’t previously exist but was needed by the APS membership?
The Outstanding Volunteer Award recognizes APS members for excellent service in furthering the mission of APS through their volunteer efforts. These volunteers are the lifeblood of our society; they keep members informed and manage the details so the rest of us don't even have to think about it.
It's time for you to tell us who these individuals are so APS can show them our appreciation. Don't let them go unnoticed!
How to Nominate
Nominee must be an APS member. Current council members of APS are not eligible for this award, and senior editors are not eligible in their area of responsibility.
- Send your one-page nomination letter (saved as a .pdf document) to the Senior Councilor-at Large on or before June 30 each year.
- Nominating letter to include a description of nominees most recent volunteer activities (within the last five years) and how the nominee excelled in the quality, timeliness, and/or scope of these activities.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the Councilors-at Large.
- Nominations are held over for three years.
- More than one award may be given annually.
- Recipient(s) will be recognized at the APS Annual Meeting.
Outstanding Volunteer Awardees
- 2022: Matt Kasson
- 2022: Rebecca Melanson
- 2021: Olufemi Alabi
- 2021: Nicole Gauthier
- 2020: David Gadoury
- 2019: J.P. Dundore-Arias
- 2018: Christopher M. Wallis
- 2017: Darin Eastburn and Renee Rioux
- 2016: Monica Elliott and Thomas Mitchell
- 2015: Maya C. Hayslett and Anissa M. Poleatewich
- 2013: Scott Adkins
- 2012: Gary Peterson
- 2010: Michelle Moyer and Dija Selimi
- 2007: Dick Stuckey
- 2006: Scott Gold and Gretchen Kuldau
- 2005: Joyce Loper and Don White