Council appoints the editor-in-chief for a three-year term, based on the recommendation of the Publications Board. The editor-in-chief must be a current member of APS and may not serve more than two terms consecutively. The editor-in-chief may not simultaneously hold another APS office during this tenure.
An editor-in-chief-elect may be appointed to serve concurrently with the editor-in-chief during the last year of office. If the elect position comes from the current board, another senior editor may be appointed.
Responsibilities as editor-in-chief
- Serves as a member of the
Office of Education.
- Assumes office as editor-in-chief at the beginning of the next calendar year following appointment.
- Serves as a member of the Annual Meetings Board.
- Prepares and submits reports to the internal communications officer of APS upon request.
- Is the presiding officer of the
APS Education Center Editorial Board.
- Appoints to the Editorial Board, based on the approval of the Publications Board, senior editors for three-year terms (calendar year). Approximately one-third of the senior editors will rotate off each year. Senior editors must be current members of APS. Waiver of the APS membership requirement may be requested by submitting justification to the Publications Board at the time a nomination is submitted.
- Selects associate editors as needed for three-year terms after consultation with the Publications Board. Approximately one-third of associate editors rotate off each year.
- Establishes, in consultation with the Editorial Board, the general editorial and publications policies and procedures for The Plant Health Instructor and other sections of the
APS Education Center. These policies are summarized in the online
- Consults with the Publications Board, treasurer, and appropriate staff on matters that pertain to the activities and publications of the
APS Education Center, with deference to Council.
- The chief executive officer is the business manager and publisher of the APS Education Center. The editor-in-chief and the chief executive officer establish publication schedules. The treasurer is the responsible fiscal officer.