Current Board Members
Council appoints the editor-in-chief for a three-year term, based on the recommendation of the Publications Board. They must be a current member of APS. Individuals shall not serve more than two terms consecutively. The editor-in-chief may not simultaneously hold another office of the society during their tenure.
An editor-in-chief-elect may be appointed to serve concurrently with the editor-in-chief during the last year of office. If the elect position comes from the current board, another senior editor may be appointed.
Responsibilities as editor-in-chief
- Serves as a member of the Publications Board.
- Assumes office as editor-in-chief at the beginning of the next calendar year following appointment.
- Prepares and submits reports to the internal communications officer of APS upon request.
- Is the presiding officer of the
Phytopathology Editorial Board.
- Appoints to the Editorial Board, with the approval of the Publications Board, one or more senior editors and/or feature editors for three-year terms concurrent with that of the editor-in-chief. Senior editors must be current members of APS. Waiver of the APS membership requirement may be requested by submitting justification to the Publications Board at the time a nomination is submitted.
- Selects associate editors as needed for three-year terms after consultation with the Publications Board. Approximately one-third of associate editors rotate off each year.
- Establishes, in consultation with the Editorial Board, the general editorial and publications policies and procedures for
Phytopathology. These policies are summarized in each issue of the Journal.
- Consults with the Publication Board, treasurer, and appropriate staff on matters that pertain to the activities and publications of
Phytopathology, with deference to Council.
- The executive vice president is the business manager and publisher of
Phytopathology. The editor-in-chief and the executive vice president establish publication schedules. The treasurer is the responsible fiscal officer.