The Council appoints the Internal Communications Officer (ICO) of the society for a three-year term of office. Individuals shall not serve more than two terms consecutively. The ICO cannot simultaneously hold another office of the society during their term as ICO.
- Assumption of office: Takes office at the close of the society's annual meeting following appointment.
- Membership: Serves as a member of the Council and of the Executive Committee of the Council.
- Primary duty: Serves as the internal communication officer (ICO) of the Society and oversees communication and accomplishment of tasks and action items.
- Strategic Plan: With the Presidential lineage and Chief Executive Officer, develops a Strategic Plan for discussion and approval by Council. Along with the Councilors-at-Large, the ICO communicates the Strategic Plan to APS leadership, members, and facilitates alignment of activities of the forgoing with the Strategic Plan.
- Meeting agendas: Attends the agenda framing meetings to review and finalize Council's meeting agenda and materials. When necessary and desirable, issues a specific call for agenda items to Council members, standing and ad hoc committee chairs, office and board directors and chairs, and representatives.
- Reporting to Council: Works with Councilors-at-Large to communicate with APS leadership and coordinate exchange of information between the foregoing entities and between the entities and Council for immediate upcoming meetings of Council.
- Annual Membership Report: Delivers an annual report on membership to the assembled Society at the annual meeting, including a remembrance of members who passed away since the previous annual meeting.
- Annual Report of the Society: Prepares and coordinates with APS staff the Annual Report of the Society for posting on the website and publication in Phytopathology News. Along with the Councilors-at-Large and APS staff, will request annual reports from society officers, division councilors, editors-in-chiefs, and leadership from boards and offices.
- Reporting to Membership: Prepares periodic (e.g., quarterly) articles for Phytopathology News on Council initiatives, activities, and issues of strategic importance.
- Manual of Operations: Along with APS staff will assist with editing and updating the APS Manual of Operations (MoO), with revision changes going to Council for final approval by majority vote.
- Appointments by Council: In preparation for Council meetings, reviews with staff necessary APS Council appointments for the coming year.
Meetings of the Council and Executive Committee
- Parliamentarian: Serves as the parliamentarian during meetings of Council and facilitates the observation of rules of order, motions, and votes of Council.
- Minutes of Meetings: Reviews meeting minutes that are prepared by APS staff.