Current Awards and Honors Committee Members
The Awards and Honors Committee (AHC) selects recipients for all APS awards except for the Distinguished Service Award according to criteria stated herein. The recommendation of AHC for the Distinguished Service Award must be presented to Council for approval in February annually.
- The Committee consists of seven APS members, at least five of which must be Fellows of APS.
- A chair and a vice-chair shall be selected by and from committee members; both must be Fellows of APS and both must be approved by Council.
- The Chair of AHC shall serve an additional year as Immediate Past Chair.
- The Committee shall nominate two new members each year.
- Members will be formally appointed by a majority vote of the Committee and will serve a three-year term but may not serve more than two consecutive terms.
- The Committee meets once between annual meetings of the Society to select awardees.
- AHC shall invite nominations for the various awards from APS members and from members of associated societies for non-member awards, when appropriate. The number of Fellow Awards is limited to 0.25% of the active membership (all types) each year as of prior calendar year end.
- Using the same stringent guidelines, Fellows may be elected from among emeritus members in addition to the 0.25% quota.
- In addition to new award nominations received during the current year, the committee shall reconsider award nominations received during the two preceding years except for the Hutchins and Hewitt Awards, which stand for only one year. Nominations are encouraged to be revised and updated annually prior to the submission deadline for nominations.
- AHC shall consider nominations of APS Fellows for a subsequent award of excellence only if the nomination is based upon accomplishment distinctly different from that upon which the Fellow's nomination was based, and where the new accomplishment has occurred after recognition as Fellow. A period of 5 years should elapse between recognition as Fellow and nomination for an award of excellence. The nominator of a Fellow for an ‘award of excellence’ must specify how the contributions in the current nomination differ from those on which the Fellow nomination was based originally.
- The Chair of AHC will provide a list of award recipients to headquarters staff for the purpose of preparing certificates, plaques, and checks for cash prizes (where appropriate) for all awards except the Syngenta Award.