Councilors-at-Large (CALs) serve a three-year term. One CAL is elected each year, three-year terms of each CAL do not run concurrently, and thus CALs are identified as Senior Councilor-at-Large, and two appointed as Councilor-at-Large, based on the numbers of years in office (Article IV of the APS Constitution). A newly elected CAL assumes office at the meeting of the new Council at the APS Annual Meeting. A CAL cannot simultaneously hold another office of the society during the term of office as councilor.
- The Senior CAL is a member of the Executive Committee.
- Councilors-at-Large (CALs) will submit reports to headquarters as directed by the Internal Communications Officer.
- Work with Staff on Committee Chair/Vice Chair orientation webinar.
- Each CAL is designated as a liaison to a committee/office for their term as CAL.
- CAL liaisons to attend committee/office meetings as feasible throughout the year as well as to the committee/office meeting during the APS Annual Meeting.
Specific Responsibilities of Senior Councilor-at-Large
- Provides orientation to the chairs and vice chairs via a webinar (held prior to the annual meeting).
- Encourages new volunteers to contact the appropriate committee chair prior to the annual meeting through electronic means and through an article in Phytopathology News.
- Serve as a liaison and resource to their designated committees and offices.
- Work with APS Staff to ensure chair/vice chair appointments are completed as outlined in the Manual of Operations for the upcoming year (to be completed by the end of the APS Annual Meeting)
- Provides committee descriptions and activity updates to Staff for updating committee pages on APSnet.
- Alongside APS Staff manage call for nominations, award notifications, and award announcement for the APS Outstanding Volunteer Award.
- Serves in an advisory role as an ex-officio non-voting member on the Annual Meeting Board.