Councilors-at-Large (CALs) serve a three-year term. One CAL is elected each year, three-year terms of each CAL do not run concurrently, and thus CALs are identified as Senior Councilor-at-Large, and two appointed as Councilor-at-Large, based on the numbers of years in office (Article IV of the APS Constitution). A newly elected CAL assumes office at the meeting of the new Council at the APS Annual Meeting. A CAL cannot simultaneously hold another office of the society during the term of office as councilor.
- The Senior CAL is a member of the Executive Committee.
- Councilors-at-Large will submit reports to headquarters as directed by the Internal Communications Officer.
- Work with Staff on Committee Chair/Vice Chair orientation webinar and committee meeting at APS Annual Meeting.
Specific Responsibilities of Senior Councilor-at-Large
- Provides orientation to the chairs and vice chairs via a webinar (held prior to the annual meeting) and at the Committee Chair Orientation meeting at the annual meeting.
- Encourages new volunteers to contact the appropriate committee chair prior to the annual meeting through electronic means and through an article in Phytopathology News.
- Oversees the committee member appointments and serves as a resource to committee chairs as outlined in the Manual of Operations.
- Provides committee descriptions and activity updates to Staff for updating committee pages on APSnet.