Council appoints the editor-in-chief for a three-year term, based on the recommendation of the Publications Board. The editor-in-chief must be a current member of APS. Individuals shall not serve more than two terms consecutively. The editor-in-chief may not simultaneously hold another office of the society during their tenure. An editor-in-chief-elect may be appointed to serve concurrently with the editor-in-chief during the last year of office. If the successor comes from the current board, another editor may be appointed. An associate editor-in-chief may serve concurrently with the term of the editor-in-chief.
Responsibilities of editor-in-chief
- Serves as a member of the APS Publications Board.
- Assumes office as editor-in-chief at the beginning of the next calendar year following appointment.
- Prepares and submits reports to the internal communications officer of APS upon request.
- Is the presiding officer of the PhytoFrontiers Editorial Board.
- Appoints the Editorial Board, with the approval of the Publications Board, one or more editors for three-year terms concurrent with that of the editor-in-chief. Editors must be current members of APS. Waiver of the APS membership requirement may be requested by submitting justification to the Publications Board at the time a nomination is submitted.
- Editors-in-Chief of Phytopathology, Plant Disease, MPMI, Phytobiomes and Plant Health Progress concurrently serve on the PhytoFrontiers editorial board as regular editors.
- Senior editors serving on Phytopathology, Plant Disease, MPMI, Phytobiomes and Plant Health Progress are invited to serve simultaneously on the PhytoFrontiers editorial board until their tenure on their other boards ends and will only be asked to oversee manuscripts that they transfer laterally to PhytoFrontiers.
- Editors appointed to the PhytoFrontiers, Plant Disease, MPMI, Phytobiomes, and/or Plant Health Progress, or have the appropriate qualifications, as approved by the publications board, to fill an editorial need deemed essential for PhytoFrontiers.
- Establishes, in consultation with the Editorial Board, the general editorial and publications policies and procedures for PhytoFrontiers. These policies are summarized on the APS journals website.
- Consults with the Publications Board, treasurer, and appropriate staff on matters that pertain to the activities and publications of PhytoFrontiers, with deference to APS Council
- The chief executive officer is the business manager and publisher of PhytoFrontiers. The editor-in-chief and the chief executive officer establish publication schedules. The treasurer is the responsible fiscal officer.