1. How is the rhizosphere environment different from the rest of the soil? How does the rhizosphere benefit plants? How does it impact plant pathogens?
2. How is Fusarium wilt (or another vascular wilt disease) different from the foliar and root diseases discussed previously?
3. Do you think that biological controls, as a component of integrated pest management (IPM) programs, can replace the need for chemical pesticides in the future? Why or why not?
4. What effects might global warming have on nematodes that are pathogens of plants or pathogens of people and animals?
5. In your community, what kinds of regulations and restrictions are in place for homeowners and businesses (such as gas stations) to protect the surface water and groundwater?