At the IS-MPMI Congress in Glasgow, the MPMI journal asked the community to identify their top unanswered questions in molecular plant-microbe interactions and narrowed it down to the top 10.
Watch for articles about these top unanswered questions in upcoming issues of MPMI and additional content in Microgreens, the official MPMI podcast!
Top Ten Unanswered Questions of MPMI
1) How do plants engage with beneficial microorganisms while at the same time restricting pathogens?
2) How does abiotic stress, such as climate change, influence plant-microbe interactions?
3) How can we translate basic research into emerging crop plants?
4) How do microbe-microbe interactions affect plant-microbe interactions?
5) Does ETI potentiate and restore PTI – or is there really a binary distinction between ETI and PTI?
6) What’s the molecular basis of non-host resistance?
7) How do resistance proteins activate cell death?
8) Why do some pathogens need so many effectors when others need a few?
9) How do pathogens evolve novel virulence activities?
10) How do observations of binary plant-microbe interactions hold in an ecological context?