Whetzel was a charter member of APS. He began his graduate work at Cornell in 1904. Just two years later, he became an assistant professor and the following year a professor and the head of the Department of Plant Pathology. He remained head until 1922, opting then to leave administration and return to a career in teaching and research. Whetzel authored more than 300 publications, had major roles in organizing two scientific societies, and had developed a worldwide reputation for his energetic research and teaching. He was also instrumental in the development of the Cornell Herbarium, which had over 30,000 accessions at the time of his death. Whetzel had great enthusiasm and passion for teaching, in both the classroom and the field, and was a strong advocate of extension research.
(Submitted for publication in July 2008.)